What is the Soulful Stewardship
The Soulful Stewardship Method is grounded in the philosophy that personal sense-of-place stories spark meaningful connections, which cultivate caring and inspire stewardship. This framework helps foster lasting connections between people and place. The key to activating these stories and connections is discovering a sense of place.
What is a Sense of Place?
Sense of place is a broad term with many definitions. Erica defines sense of place as that "sweet spot" where what you know, your factual knowledge about a place; research, data, and information, intersects with what you feel, your personal experience; feelings, story and memory. Your sense of place is unique and personal.
Knowledge + Experience = Sense of Place
Finding your sense of place can be a lifelong discovery process. As you grow and experience more, your connection to places grows with you. Having a sense of place is something you can cultivate daily, or whenever you feel the urge to make more sense of your life or the world.
How it Works
Sense of Place Consulting helps organizations, communities and individuals discover meaningful connections between people and place, so that both people and places can thrive.
The Soulful Stewardship Method approach inspires the personal connections that foster caring and inspire action. The Sense of Place Discovery Process is a 7-step journey helps with discovering, exploring and sharing sense of place connections.
Why it Matters
In the not so distant past, knowing the nature and history of a place was key to our ancestors survival and identity. Who they were individually and collectively was firmly rooted in place. Today, in our fast paced, mobile lives, we may live far from where we grew up. We may know little about the place that surrounds us and long to feel more rooted to a place. We may be unsure of how the histories of others relates to us personally. Or even where to start having a personal connection to a place.
The good news is your connection to a place can be discovered, evoked and restored, no matter where you are. You'll gain a sense of place and belonging that is deeply needed in the world today.
The Sense of Place Discovery Process
This approach includes practical tools and techniques for discovering stories, making meaning and finding ways to take action in your life and the world. It has been honed and refined through more than a decade of working with groups across the country. and can help you in your personal or professional work.
The 7 steps of this process will lead you on journey to:
- Discover your sense of place stories
- Uncover meaning and connections
- Boost your story-crafting and delivery skills
- Explore actions you can take in your life and the world
For interpreters,volunteers,educators and organizations
- Boost creativity
- Generate fresh ideas for use in personal or professional work
- Reflect and make more sense of your life and the world
- Increase sense of belonging, community and connection (no matter where you are)
- Discover how to use your authentic passions to make a difference
For Visitor Services/Professional Development
- Generate fresh ideas
- Gain skills and practice techniques to improve program content and delivery
- Learn how to engage diverse visitors
- Give the best tours and visitor experiences possible
- Team-build, collaborate and increase capacity to mitigate burnout
For Organizations/National, Regional and Community Events
- Inspire sense of place stories
- Increase caring and support for the work you do
- Connect diverse audiences to diverse places
- Boost partnerships, collaboration and alliances through shared stories of place
- Recharge your passion for your work
For Youth Leadership and Academic Programs
- Empower self-expression
- Integrate academic knowledge with personal experience.
- Discover a sense of place and belonging anywhere.
- Explore how a sense of place inspires stewardship and sustainability.